I have had to troubleshoot many strange things like that over a 26 year period for different companies. It isn't always the operating environment or OS.

- In one case we traced it back to an arc welder producing RFI (radio frequency interference). We had to use insulated wiring (low capacitance, twisted pair, shielded wiring) to solve it. We had to shorten the cable to the shortest length possible and make sure that the ground connections on the cable were connected. There are usually limits to how long a cable can be before you go over the limit. The signal gets weaker and is therefore vulnerable to RFI at longer and longer distances. That is why you have to lower the speed of line to go over certain distances. Cables act like an antenna and introduce RFI into a system. That is why many people will disconnect unused cables from their computers. - At one company they were using a coax cable from RADIO SHACK that was NOT the exact cable required even though the cable plugged in just fine. It didn't have the electrical characteristics that was necessary to maintain a high quality signal and caused network crashes once a day.
-  In another case it was a failing UPS producing flaky power.
- In another case, bad memory chips (determined by using a memory testing program that runs overnight). - One time, a company had power fluctuations due to large equipment on the same line. We had to connect the computer to a dedicated line (straight out to the power pole) to solve the problem. - I don't know what area you are in, but some power companies balance their loads at night, and this sometimes creates brief, momentary, power outages that can effect equipment if you don't have a UPS. - If the power is wired incorrectly, it can behave strangely. A toaster oven will work just fine, but a sensitive computer will not. You have to get one of those power outlet testing devices ($10) and plug it in and look at the light readout. It will tell you if negative and positive are reversed, or there is no ground, etc. - A PM (preventative maintenance) might be in order. Sometimes dust will build up inside of a case on the motherboard and short connections out once in a while when there is enough ambient electricity to come through it. In other words it receives and picks up energy like an antenna. - Grounding the computer with your mind works in cases where there are spiritual disturbances. I have had customers with spiritual problems that cause my computer to crash at the exact moment they call. Or a light bulb blows out at the exact moment. Grounding it with your mind can dissipate negative energy if that is what is causing it. This happens a lot when there is negative/angry/hostile people throwing negative energy at the computer. Putting a carbon-filled anti-static mat underneath the computer can help as well. - I have seen problems due to overheating computer also. We have had to add CPU heat sinks/fans, replace power supply fans, blow the dust out of them, etc. - Sometimes a line can pick up a control characters to pause the output. In the old days it was only CTRL-S, but UNIX adds some additional signals to the mix. Clearing the line and resetting it can work in some cases. - One good thing to do is keep a log of the crash each and every time. You put the port, date, time, event, user, and any special process running at that time. Over a period of time, you might see a pattern. For example, something late at night suggests power problems. Something first thing Monday morning, might be due to a brownout caused by the powering up of large factory equipment. Find out when the weekly cleaning people come in. I had a problem once with client that kept having problems with their computer on Friday morning. It would crash Thursday nights. I happened to be working late one evening for them, and I watch a cleaning person walk up to the computer, unplug it, and then plug in their vacuum cleaner and start vacuuming! They would finish vacuuming, and then plug the computer back in.

If you still can't resolve it after trying/researching these things, please post the problem again. Also, please let us know what it took to fix it for our FAQ.

ROBERT NORMAN AND ASSOCIATES
23441 Golden Springs Dr., #289, Diamond Bar, CA 91765
(951) 541-1668
i...@keyway.net <mailto:i...@keyway.net>
http://users.keyway.net/~ice/ <http://users.keyway.net/%7Eice/>
Affordable UNIDATA programming services for PICK/BASIC, DATA/BASIC, UniVerse
Basic, UniBasic, R/BASIC, jBC.