I would think flushing the input buffer in either location would be
sufficient, assuming the problem is as you described.  I've seen situations
where there's something in the second field, for example, that is data
stacking something new and the data stacking from the gun is conflicting
with that.  If you're confident that's not the case, flushing the input
before that third field should suffice.