I was able to load it into centOS with no problems, sadly I don't use fedora/ubuntu or opensuse (centos is the open source version of redhat enterprise which is what I would recommend you use, IMHO)

having said that my gut feeling is that the library is on the system in a location the system does not know about, so try this:

1. (as root) run find / -name "libgdbm.so.2"
2. if the system finds it next run ldconfig -p and see if the library shows up in the listing (it should not)
3. add the directory where the library lives to to /etc/ld.so.conf
4. run ldconfig

try installing again and see if that fixes the issue

dougc