On 13/06/13 15:18, David Peters Bluefinity wrote:
> Hi
>
> As long as you don't tell anyone else, as it might show my age, I can add a
> bit of background.  I worked for Prime and was seconded to represent sales to
> the project in Milton Keynes that delivered PI/open.  In fact I was part of
> the group that decided on the name and still have some of the original
> marketing collateral in a box somewhere.  As far as I can remember due to the
> implementation Martin outlined the run time code could be moved between Unix
> systems without recompiling.    But I am sure Martin will be able to remember
> and correct me if I am wrong.

That sounds a bit odd to me. Unless you're talking the components that
were in BASIC, because Unix systems ran on a lot of different CPUs. But
it could well have been "just a recompile".

> Assuming we are talking about a UK VAR in South London for the EXL 7330's etc
> I was probably involved as well.  Small world.

Jefferys Systems - I remember them when they were Wootton Jefferys -
that'll date me too! But we also dealt directly with Prime.

> And yes I then moved to VMark as they acquired Prime Information.  It took
> them years to assimilate PI in to Universe, but that's another story!!

Yes - I gather they tried to merge the Prime code with UniData, or some
other similar PHB story ...

Cheers,
Wol