Thanks to those who replied.

1) we have tools to easily edit dictionaries of any size (one of the few
benefits of Datatel/ Ellucian)

2) we have tools to monitor and resize dictionaries just like any other file (
also a Datatel benefit)

It's more of a general question about performance. We import data from the
Common Application which has almost 2000 data attributes per person. Thus
having a large DICT isn't sloppy or lazy work on our end, it's a necessity of
the data.

Thus the question is better stated as:

Is unidata performance better if we stuff all 2000 elements in a single DICT or
break the data into multiple (eg: 4) files of 500 elements each?

When we work with this data we need all 2000 elements so is reading 4 or 5
separate tables any more efficient than reading a single large table of 2000
elements?

Jeffrey Butera, PhD
Associate Director for Application and Web Services
Information Technology
Hampshire College
413-559-5556