Anthony pretty much nailed how we're doing it.

But my original question is still unanswered.
I want to make sure it's a valid printer before I start printing to it.
I think I problably need to do something like
EXECUTE "DOS /C [some-command] \\MY_PRINT_SERVER\PrinterName" CAPTURING DOSMSG
    IF DOSMSG = [something bad] THEN  . . .

I was hoping someone in this august body had crossed that bridge before.

cds