You know, I was able to integrate all printers into U2 by writing a few simple programs and using Print Wizard to convert our PCL5 output into a ".pdf" file. This way, I never work with printers at the UD level any more. And PW is an awesome product with awesome support.

Bill
Untitled Page

----- Original Message -----
*From:* antli...@youngman.org.uk
*To:* U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
*Date:* 1/28/2014 12:54 PM
*Subject:* Re: [U2] How do you verify windows printer is good before fatal error by PRINTing to a bogus printer.
On 28/01/14 20:31, Jeff Schasny wrote:
I've been using Universe since it was in beta and I had no idea you
could use a URI in SETPTR.

Its a good day, I've learned something new. Thanks!
Just watch out. In today's modern world of GDI printers, sending a raw
text dump from UV is often not a good idea.

In the old days of dot-matrix, or even PCL that just expected a text
stream, it worked fine. It's nowhere near that simple any more :-(

Cheers,
Wol
Wols Lists wrote:
So if I am working on \\ASHDOWN (the name of my computer) I can use
SETPTR to point at \\TIGGER\HP - a printer logically connected to a
different computer that I've never told UV anything about.

Setptr is quite happy to be given a windows remote computer reference
and it works fine. That was how all our printers worked - they usually
had network cards in them, so when a new printer turned up, I would
assign it a name in DNS, and for anybody who was supposed to use it I
would just edit their login script to add eg

SETPTR ...,AT \\ACCOUNTS-HP\RAW

And it just worked. No UV printer setting up whatsoever. Okay, my setup
was a little bit cleverer than that, but everything, and I mean
EVERYTHING, was done in my programs. Nothing at the UV level whatsoever.

Cheers,
Wol