We are having a very strange intermittent problem with the UV command not
working from Unix.

Occasionally, after a user logs into Unix (without noticing anything
unusual) typing "UV" simply returns the user to the UNIX shell almost
instantly. When the problem occurs it seems to affect everyone who logins in
and attempts to go into Universe for a period of time and then the problem
seems to resolve itself. Any users who logged into Unix during that period
of time still can not go into Universe but new logins work fine. The problem
seems to be with Universe. Unix commands work fine and when we have tried
executing other Universe commands which normally can be run from Unix they
fail also. The Unix login script seems to run fine. When the problem occurs
users already in Universe notice no problems. No unusual locks or
performance problems have been noticed. The problem does not seem to be load
related since it happens at apparently random times including times when
very few users are logged in. We have been running 9.6.2.2 on DG/UX for
several years and have never had the problem until the last couple of
months. The only thing that may be suspicious is some changes we made to
some kernel and UV config settings a few weeks prior to the first reported
problem. The following changes were made:

(KERNEL)
SDELSIM 2048 TO 256
SEMOPM 100 TO 64
SEMUME 1024 TO 64
SHMMNI 4096 TO 2048
SEMMNI 4096 TO 2048

(UV CONFIG)
MFILES 56 TO 200
T30FILE 8000 TO 200 (we have no dynamic files)
FSEMNUM 101 TO 50
GSEMNUM 211 TO 97
GLTABSZ 150 TO 75
RLTABSZ 150 TO 75
MAXRLOCK 100 TO 74

Any help solving this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vance Dailey