Karl,

I don't know about the cost of a first born child these days (we're several
years past that), and I don't think you can get both "good" and "cheap" at
the same time.

But, we did a project for a customer using the Symbol 8100 series with a
cellular phone connection and then (to offer a lower cost alternative)
retrofitted it to a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone.

We gave up the "scanner" and the "print" functions that we had on the
Symbol, but retained the portability and were able to manually enter the
necessary information at a significant cost savings.

The Pocket PC Phone can accept a Storage Card that can store your
information, and it does have an IR port, plus a docking cradle to connect
it to a PC via cable, for data upload.

Your users would have to enter the product numbers manually, instead of
scanning.

The main advantage is that the data would not have to be reentered into your
database, but the inital data entry (eg writing down the information on a
pad) would still have to be done in the field.

I'll be glad to discuss this in more detail if you wish.

Rgds,

Dave

Dave Taylor
Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.