Tom,

Just for some more background here .... is the real reason you are having to go
through the ETL is so that the users can "play" with your data using 'standard' BI
tools like Cognos against the SQL database ?

Also, what USE is the information going to be put to ?! I remember one of the "classic
tales" of a sales manager, CFO & CEO turning up @ a meeting at midday with their
figures extracted from their real-time BI tool.

The sales manager got his extract @ 10am, the CFO @ 11am, and the CEO was handed his
take as he walked in at midday --> and of course none of the figures reconciled.

Cutting to the chase (in the version of the story I heard), the company stepped back
from real-time for "big picture" stuff - and only used near real time for daily
performance review.

Just curious ...... your answer will impact your solution - but of course things will
mature over time to if this is currently simply a 'me too' exercise, though hopefully
there are some well considered objectives in mind.

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage – an Evolution in Software Development

---