>From: Horn, John
>> From: Dan Fitzgerald

>> Or you can use dynamic
>> files (although at the most - with a lot of luck - this gives
>> you 4Gb),

>What makes you say this?  We have some dynamic files that are well
>over 10-15 gig.  They have multiple dat files that are all well
>under the 2 gig limit.

John, as you noted in a previous post, UniVerse and UniData are different.
UniVerse dynamic files allow only a single DATA.30 and a single OVER.30
file, so with 32bit addressing that allows a maximum of 2GB primamry data
and 2GB of overflow, but of course it is very hard to organise a file to get
close to that distribution of data between data and overflow.

In UniData a dynamic file can contain up to 256 part files each of which can
be configured up to 2GB if you really want, so there is no practical limit
on the amount of data you can store even with 32bit addressing.

I suspect Dan was busy thinking about UniVerse when he posted, even though
the OP is actually running UniData.

Cheers,

Ken