Ok. So there WAS a bscan done on the T25 file prior to attempting the write. Since this is done from within BASIC, my guess is that the active scan is causing some type of error. Try this; after the scan has verified that the data item does NOT exist, close and reopen the data file, THEN attempt your write (yes I know that this may invalidate the notion that the record does not exist). This would test to see if the active scan of the T25 file is interfering with the low level write, as the close of the data file would automatically terminate the scan (there is no other way from within BASIC). I wrote the code for bscan back in 1992 so I don't recall all different interactions involved, but it could be a long-standing bug that never appeared or not reported. In any case, if you could try that, I'd be interested in the results.

At 12:11 PM 02/17/2004, you wrote:
No, the value does not get written to the type 25 file. The data is not
pre-existing. The BSCAN is done to verify this fact before attempting
the write.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Glenn Herbert
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 9:00 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: UV write fatal error

Does the data value actually get inserted into the type 25 file if you
check after the write fails?  Also, is the data pre-existing within the
type 25 file and this is an update to that record?  Sounds almost like a
memory allocation or rotating file pool problem.

The on error branch (actually ANY branch) would only be followed if the
run-machine wasn't crashing underneath you, which, if you are being
dropped back to the command prompt, is happening.