The default behavior will be that upon completion of the command, ie incorrect syntax, correct working, etc, any active SELECT list will be cleared. The 'K' entry in field 4 overrides that so that when the command exits any active SELECT will NOT be cleared. This behavior is strictly flavor dependant and can be modified if you don't like it (though the next ACCOUNT.UPDATE will reset it).

Secondly, the 'S' option is usually used to pass a select list into an external executable, for example, things in the $UVHOME/bin directory. So, for instance, FILE.STAT is actually $UVHOME/bin/file.stat. From TCL you can use FILE.STAT with a select list;

SELECTFL
FILE.STAT

and this will dump out the info for all the files in the select list. What actually happens is there is a bit of substitution. The SELECTFL will generate a temp file with all the file names in it, i.e. UVTEMP/select01928aa. The command built to run would then be:

$UVHOME/bin/file.stat -S /tmp/select01928aa (assuming UVTEMP == /tmp)

This is how we originally designed active select lists to be used with externals. Back to the main point, once file.stat completes (or bombs out or whatever) the command executor will shutdown (or keep open) the SELECT list based upon the 'K' in field 4.