We first tried wIntegrate that created the GUI environment but of course
required a client side.  It worked pretty well and we still have a client
using and asking for modifications to those applications.
Several years ago, we found RedBack which runs under Unidata/Universe.
Initially we focused on getting the applications done.  Once they we
completed we worked on the other issues: such as the length of development
time, consistency of the code, training Basic programmers to code
ASP/JavaScript/HTML, and ease custom coding.  We solved these issues with a
product called XLr8.  XLr8 helps us code without that steep learning curve,
producing industry standard code that programmers outside the U2 world can
read and modify, and gives us a built in source code control module.  Below
is the answers to your requirements:

1) Browser based (Mozilla or IE) runs on all platforms
2) Attractive forms using Cascading Style Sheets (css)
3) Respond to key strokes using JavaScript.
4) Only a Browser needed, no plugins or client side software.
5) XMLHTTP threads off processes so the need for type ahead is abated.
6) Heads down type ahead is accomplished in two ways.  First tabindex is set
for all prompts.  Secondly, validation is through dropdowns, or using the
XMLHTTP engine for threaded processes, thus keeping the speed close to green
screen.

Hope this helps,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]