From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Christophe Marchal
Sent: 21 April 2004 15:52
To: U2 Users Discussion List
Subject: Re: GUI as nice as character-based

Yes, I agree.
But .NET is also an "open" specification, the .NET file format and the
jvm are ecma "standardized".
And there is already an open .net vm : mono.
So using .net does not locked more into microsoft than using sun lock
you into sun.
And the .NET jvm is free of charge, so no more dollars to microsoft. And

it is installed with every windows update, so every windows user has
already a "good environment" for .NET. More easy for us than installing
java vm.

And the last events show us that sun does not want to open Java. So if
sun dies, nobody can continue developping java.

It was only a kind of joke (why I used a smiley ;-), I don't want to
start a war about sun/java versus Microsoft/.NET especially with the
last agreement between sun and ms ;-)
Just use your prefered tool, I'll be ever productive than with a
world-standard that you hate.

Christophe

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

>Java Web Start works reasonably well, and I have used it.  But I sure
don't
>see how you are "locked in" to Sun by using it.  The Java libraries
will be
>perpetuated with or without Sun.  For example, IBM develops with Java,
and
>I'm certain they don't think they are locked into Sun.
>
>"Locked into Microsoft" implies dollars (forever) while "locked into
Java"
>doesn't feel like as much of a prison at all.  Agree?  --dawn
>
>Dawn M. Wolthuis
>Tincat Group, Inc.
>www.tincat-group.com
>
>Take and give some delight today.

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and
confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on
anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way,
or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error
or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information
system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 9911 7799, Hong
Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.