Also, in place of the INPUT OPT.OUT,1 read to drain, you could use INPUTCLEAR to do the same thing without actually reading anything.....

At 10:54 AM 4/28/2004, you wrote:
We have a program looping through all data files searching
for something
- sometimes it gets to a file containing several million
records and
we'd like to be able to tell it to skip that file and
continue with the
next file. We've tried the following approaches with said
results:
   (1) OPT.OUT = KEYIN() ; if OPT.OUT = 1 then EXIT
       OPT.OUT = 0
       the program sits waiting for input in every
iteration, ie every
record

   (2) INPUT OPT.OUT,-1 ; if OPT.OUT = 'S' then EXIT
       OPT.OUT = 0
       CLEARDATA
       CLEARINPUT
       the program works perfectly until an 'S' is entered
then skips
every file after that...

       HOWEVER, if I press Ctrl-Break, enter DEBUG, enter
C(ontinue),
the program continues as normal until another 'S' is
       entered..

Obviously the machine still has something in the input
buffer, despite
the CLEARDATA, something that gets whacked when debug hits
the scene...

Any ideas?