Consider the following revised version.

The TWC problem
1.      Question: What is the chance that it will snow next Monday?
2.      My subjective prior: 5%
3. Evidence: The Weather Channel (TWC) says there is a “70% chance of snow” on Monday.
4.      TWC forecasts of snow are calibrated.

Notice that I did not justify by subjective prior with a base rate.

From P(S)=.05 and P(S|”70%”) = .7 I can deduce that P(“70%”|S)/ P(“70%”|~S) = 44.33. So now I can “deduce” from my prior and evidence odds that P(S|”70%”) = .7. But this seems silly. Suppose my subjective prior was 20%. Then P(“70%”|S)/P(“70%”|~S) = 9.33333 and again I can “deduce” P(S|”70%”)=.7.

My latest quandary is that it seems odd that my subjective conditional probability of the evidence should depend on my subjective prior. This may be coherent, but is too counter intuitive for me to easily accept. It would also suggest that when receiving a single evidence item in the form of a judgment from a calibrated source, my posterior belief does not depend on my prior belief. In effect, when forecasting snow, one should ignore priors and listen to The Weather Channel.

Is this correct?  If so, does this bother anyone else?

paull

I think the source of your discomfort is the fact that in practice, TWC likely has a different prior than us. This model does not seem to allow for that possibility (since TWC's forecasts are calibrated), and I'm not sure of a way to create a model taking that possibility into account which is not under-specified (we'd need to include relationships between TWC's priors and ours, for instance). Consider:

1. Our initial probability of snow: P(S | us) = 0.05 ("us" here represents whatever information we have) 2. The weather channel's probability of snow: P(S | TWC) = 0.7 ("TWC" here represents whatever information TWC has). 3. Question: what do we think the probability of snow is given that P(S | TWC) is 0.7. That is, what is P(S | us and TWC') where P(S | TWC') = 0.7 (we're not assuming we have knowledge of the information the weather channel used to make their prediction).

I think the traditional assumption is that whatever information the weather channel has, it includes our information as well, meaning that for any information TWC' held by the weather channel, P(S | us and TWC') = P(S | TWC').

Hope that helps,

Austin Parker