Are you interested in exploring the role of machine learning in disciplines
concerned with the social, environmental and political processes of
counteracting inequality and building pluralistic futures?

Consider submitting your work to and/or attending this year's *Machine
Learning in Public Health workshop at NeurIPS*. This year we broaden and
integrate discussion on machine learning in the closely related area of *urban
planning*, which is concerned with the technical and political processes
regarding the development and design of land use. This includes the built
environment, including air, water, and the infrastructure passing into and
out of urban areas, such as transportation, communications, distribution
networks, sanitation, protection and use of the environment, including
their accessibility and equity.

We are excited for the machine learning community to join and make an
impact in this important area.

*Submissions are due Sept. 23 2021*Workshop date: Dec. 14, 2021 [all
virtual]

Website details including submission, speaker info and more information:
https://sites.google.com/nyu.edu/mlph2021

We expect contributions on, but not limited to the following areas:

   - *Data*: feature generation from non-clinical, e.g. internet/mobile
   datasets relevant to health, privacy and security challenges related to
   public health and urban planning data and tasks, ascertainment of data to
   measure and define factors related to social disparities
   - *Methods*: methods for combining non-clinical and clinical data for
   public and population health applications, algorithms for public health and
   urban planning goals, model transport across environments, spatial analyses
   - *Policy and implementation:* ML approaches for mitigating disparities,
   identifying methodological assumptions that fail in public health and urban
   planning settings, human and ML interaction in the public health and urban
   planning context
   - *Health Topics:* ML integration in infectious disease models,
   improving non-communicable disease surveillance and prediction using ML,
   health equity

Last year we had over 60 submissions and besides accepted papers we also
gave out 7 paper awards listed here:
https://sites.google.com/nyu.edu/mlph2020/accepted-papers

Contact me or ml.pubhea...@gmail.com with questions.

All the best,
Rumi Chunara, on behalf of the MLPH organizers

--
Rumi Chunara, PhD
Associate Professor