Funny you should ask.  We are a nonprofit, member owned cooperative,
501-C12.  So, we recommended raising our service fees to all of the members
to cover the cost of the upgrades figuring a time line of three years to
complete all the backbone and CPE changes.  Regrettably, the Board was a
bit slow to accept this recommendation and we burned through our reserves
in a year and a half.  Luckily we have nearly completed the backbone
upgrades, which is nearly half of the total cost (lots of infrastructure
stuff, PV, monitoring, power backup, etc.) so can now concentrate our cash
flow at the CPE upgrades of which we have completed about half.  Since we
use volunteer labor for the radio swaps and installs we can only do so many
a month, which fits within our cash flow constraints.  The up side is that
even only being half way through the process our entire network, even the
2.4 legacy part is working much better because of the higher throughput of
the airFiber backbone and reduction of stations on the 2.4 AP's.  The AC
access points using 20MHz channel widths via the airFiber backbone are
iperfing at nearly 100Mbps to the headend of the network, whereas the
2.4GHz N access points (10MHz channel width) are lucky to hit 12Mbps.  So,
all and all it is worth the time, effort and expense to make the change.
But, that is using our business model.  Not sure about a more traditional
model.

Phil