OK, perhaps Evolution has a setting to display all emails as plain text?

As for Thunderbird you need to get it from the mozilla ftp site because you need the beta version of Thunderbird 3 for the accessibility to be there.

Ordinarily using add/remove programs or typing sudo apt-get install is the best way to get new packages in Ubuntu.

The mozilla ftp site is at

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org

If you need further help to download Thunderbird give me a shout.

Paul