Well, yes, there are work-arounds for the volume.  However, though I
realise it's not Ubuntu's fault, having to restart speech dispatcher
every few minutes makes the whole release a PITA for Orca users.
Let's face it... Ubuntu kind of fell off the wagon for accessibility.
Blind users are currently forced to use older Debian based releases,
even though there is a strong desire to use Ubuntu.  Vinux is the
current best option, which is no longer based on Ubuntu.

Sorry guys, I know there's some of you out there who actually work on
Ubuntu accessibility, but the current state sucks.  I certainly hope
Ubuntu decides at some point to make accessibility a priority.

Bill