Hi.  I've been using ocropus for at least 2 years.  I built the first release
from source, but have used Debian packages ever since.
Not sure why it isn't part of Lenny, but it is definitely part of Sid.

ke...@blackbox:~$ apt-cache search ocropus
ocropus - document analysis and OCR system
ocropus-data - document analysis and OCR system --- data files
ke...@blackbox:~$ apt-cache show ocropus
Package: ocropus
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 3732
Maintainer: Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey.ratcli...@gmail.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.3.1-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libiulib0, libjpeg62,
liblua5.1-0, libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libtiff4, zlib1g
(>= 1:1.1.4), ocropus-data (= 0.3.1-2)
Recommends: tesseract-ocr (>= 2.03-2)
Breaks: ocrodjvu (<< 0.3)
 OCRopus(tm) is a state-of-the-art document analysis and Optical
 Character Recognition (OCR) system, featuring
 pluggable layout analysis, pluggable character recognition, statistical
 natural language modeling, and multi-lingual capabilities.
 .
 The OCRopus engine is based on two research projects: a high-performance
 handwriting recognizer developed in the mid-90's and deployed by the US Census
 bureau, and novel high-performance layout analysis methods.
 .
 OCRopus development is sponsored by Google and is initially intended for
 high-throughput, high-volume document conversion efforts. It
 will also be an excellent OCR system for many other applications.
Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/ocropus/

I knew you were talking about ocropus and not tesseract.

          Kenny