Mike, do you know what video driver your system is trying to use? I've
found that some video drivers with certain video cards (usually
integraded GPUs) won't allow you to start X if a monitor isn't
connected. On a slightly related note, something similar happens if you
attempt to use a Macintosh Mini without a monitor connected, the system
goes crazy. I believe the video card itself sends an error if a monitor
isn't connected, essentially they have an open circuit that is completed
when a monitor is plugged in. I've seen this on Intel GPUs for the most
part, but it's probably not limited specifically to them.