Mike
It goes crazy with both. OS X will boot without a monitor, but it runs
slow and anything that tries to initialize the video card won't work and
will crash. Ubuntu, naturally, will simply not start X at all.
This isn't specific to Ubuntu or even Linux, any system such as FreeBSD,
Opensolaris, etc that is based on X11 is going to do this.
What graphics hardware do you have? If I know that I can find what
driver it's using, and maybe that driver specifically has an option to
ignore that error.
Another workaround is to get a composite video connector and attach that
to where your monitor would normally connect. These adapters have enough
basic circuitry in them that the video card believes them to be monitors
and will not generate the error in the first place. Depending on your
connector type, you'll need either a VGA to composite or a DVI to
composite. Apple sells one for DVI (for the Mac Mini, but it will work
on any DVI connector) but not sure who sells a VGA to composite adapter
these days.