> I depend on the Desktop Zoom and color inversion capabilities of
> Compiz Fusion because of my visual disability.  The problem is NOT
> getting the Nvidia drivers installed.  Its getting a desktop
> resolution of higher than 640x480.  My monitor is non-standard.  Its a
> Sun Microsystem CRT with dual inputs, one is a huge plug for a Sun
> workstation, and the other is for standard VGA.  Prior to Ubuntu 7.10,
> where you selected your screen resolution there was a tab where you
> could scroll through a list of hardware manufacturers and select your
> specific model Monitor.  If it wasn't listed you could at least select
> one of the Default options.  I usually selected Generic 1024x768
> Monitor from the list, and I was good to go.  This feature was
> removed.  I issued bug reports about it, made complaints, and not a
> GODDAMN thing has been done to address the problem

IMHO forcing monitor to low resolution to show bigger fonts is outdated/wrong
solution, because it causes weird aliasing artifacts.

Much better is to change dots per inch for the monitor, i.e. leave monitor
native resolution, but go to system-preferences-appearance-fonts-details and set
"dots per inch" for about 200 or even more.

Valdis