I am the one who posted several messages some weeks ago
with the Dell Pentium 4 of 2004 vintage that has no sound what
so ever with ubuntu10 or 11 even though the bootup process
appears to find the sound card.

        What I am curious about is what has changed in these
later versions that makes this otherwise rather normal computer
mute in the later versions of ubuntu?

        I have been told that ubuntu10.10 and 11.4 have a couple
of sound effects that one may hear while booting but these two
versions do not produce so much as a faint pop when trying to
boot the live CD in to orca and gnome.

        As I said several weeks ago, the desktop comes up every
time and the orca setup instructions appear on screen, but there
is not a sound.

        As it stands right now, the computer stands silently. The
choices right now are the old Vinux2.x which works perfectly but
is not supported, another Vinux-like live CD that comes right up
talking but can't find the IDE hard drive if one were to install
it or ubuntu 11.4 which is what I really wanted but which I
truly have tried everything on and have put the whole thing on
hold for now as it just doesn't seem like it will ever work in
its present configuration.

        There are 8 USB ports on this computer but no floppy
drive so it is more like newer systems than older ones. It's not
quite new enough, however, to allow one to boot off of a thumb
drive.

        The discussion, here about having some sort of small
file or script to start speech from boot without the user having
to do anything is a great possibility. One could put some sort
of token on a thumb drive that the boot process could look for
that says, I want speech as soon as possible. No more listening
to the drive until it gets quiet and hoping for the best.

        As for my particular system, something goes wrong during
the audio configuration process such that the system must think
it is set right, but it is not. There are never any error
messages printed on the screen and a look at sound card settings
via amixer shows a sound card that looks like it is ready for
use. The volume levels are up and one would think it should make
noise, but nothing at all is heard.

        It seems to me that a possibility might be some sort of
sound diagnostic that tries several possible configurations and
does a sort of "Can you hear me now?" When you hear it, hit a
key and that's what we run with. The automatic setup is
obviously not working on this system.

        Just some thoughts.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer