Hi.
One thing that you can do to avoid the CapsLock bug is to use an
external usb keypad. It is not very expensive and works quite well.

You're correct. I installed using orca presente in the CD and after the
installation I built orca from source downloaded directly from the
repository.

Regarding the documentation, I think that you weren't in the  ideal
place because the interface configured was the unity.
Since you will install ubuntu 10.10 or a similar, I think the link that
you have is a good place.
Forgive my bad english!