This was very interesting. Thanks for the link to that post, Dave.

I think that this could be a very powerful feature, especially if it is accessible to blind users. As Paul stated, it looks like the menus will still be available, and hotkeys should still work. If this works out (as stated before with accessibility implemented), I think it would be pretty amazing.

Just take this scenario for example:

You are doing something in LibreOffice, and you forgot the shortcut key(s) to edit different styles. You could use ALT+F to open the file menu, and navigate through all of the menus until you find what you are looking for, or you could simply open up the HUD and type in "Style" and have every style-related option which exists in the menu trees presented to you. That would definitely save a ton of time.

it seems really intuitive.

All I can say is that I installed windows 8 Developer Preview into a virtual machine today so that I could begin learning it so I could help others when it comes out (I have not been a Windows user for nearly five years now), and I really love how Unity and GNOME Shell are coming along much better than the Windows 8 interface. I know that there is still probably a lot of...I'll just call it user frustration...surrounding Unity and GNOME Shell (I was one who was pretty frustrated in the beginning)...I think that these two desktops (as well as KDE and XFCE) are really shaping up to be something great, especially in the area of accessibility.

I am really looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Linux desktops.

Thanks again for the link, Dave.