Speakable Items lets you activate apps, or parts of apps, with a voice command, with an optional 'push-to-talk' key. For instance, if SA is configured, you hold down your key and say "send email". The Mac mail app will be focused, with the addressbook open. You select your recipients from the list, type your subject and body, ...

If you say "check mail", for instance, your inbox summary will show up. Unless I don't have it set up right, only the apps that come with OSX have configurable Speakable Items.

HTH,

Dave