Hello everybody,

it’s been some time that I wrote on these lists regarding my plans to
build a speech generating device. In the mean time, I’ve spent some
effort on the subject and started both configuring a device and writing
an application for my purposes.

Since I got some feedback on these lists back then, I’d like to share
what I achieved so far. Maybe it is of interest for some people out
there.

The preliminary result is Max TTS <https://launchpad.net/max-tts>. It
initially started as a text-to-speech frontend for OpenMary (thus the
name, a pun on the film Mary & Max). It soon turned out that, for my
purposes, readable on-screen text output is even more important.

Max TTS is heavily tailored towards my needs, so there might be some
features and polish missing. But I’d like to share my efforts
nevertheless, and encourage people to adapt it to their needs. I plan to
extend it as required.

I currently run Max on a Dell Duo, which is a fascinating device for
this purpose: Its rotatable screen allows to write with the screen
readable by the person vis-à-vis. But it can also be used on ordinary
notebooks or tablets.

Feedback welcome!

Regards
Frederik