The most all around powerful now is TTYtter, but it is commandline only. It
runs nicely from a gnome terminal, and there are sound packs, and several
extensions for it.
For an easy to use GUI access to twitter try the pidgin microblogging plug-in.
I don't know if this comes by default when you install pidgin these days or
not, but go to the pidgin site, click on the plug-ins link and you will find it
there. There was, probably still is an old twitter plug-in as well, but it
doesn' work with the current auth system used by twitter.
When you have the plug-in installed go to the plugins menu and it will be
called something like twitgen. Make sure it's enabled, and accept all of its
capibilities.
It won't follow, unfollow,or even directly DM someone,but you can click on
urls, favorite a tweet, and rt very easily and tweets can be read as than come
in. You can of course just write a standard tweet yourself as well.
TTYtter can do much more, but it requires more typing, and more initial
configuration.
There are .deb packages for pnew versions of ttytter in the Vinux repos, as
well as a very useful helper package. Pidgin is in standard Ubuntu repos, but
some plugins must be downloaded from the web, or installed from third party
repos.

There's also a program called twidge, but I';'ve not heard so much about it.
I regularly use both ttytter and the pidgin microblogger plugin, so if you get
stuck some where I can likely help you if you get a hold of me off list.
There was a ttytter version in standard Ubuntu repos I heard, but I think it
was not so new, and this is one little program worth keeping updated.
When twitter changed there authorization system a year and a half ago the
accessible GUI twitter aps broke never to be fixed as far as I know, and they
were not very good anyway.
Regards,
--
Burt