You can use pidgin as a twitter client, with the pidgin-microblog plugin. When this is connected, your timeline becomes a 'conversation' in pidgin, with a few irc-style commands available. I briefly tried another gui client for twitter and identica called turpial, and didn't like it much.

Cheers,

Dave