I totally agree that we need to work on FoS alternatives to the IBMtts; but for
now for some languages voxin is the most viable  alternative. I don't want to
see the day where folks must keep using old operating system(s) just to have an
understandable voice in their language, but this day is at hand, or close to
it.
As I said in another msg having more than one option is also important both
because what is good for one person isn't for another and because just feeling
that one has a choice makes people feel better.
The pico voices I tried in Windows were certainly equalized for phone speakers,
and for most people with "nnormal" hearing found the tone quite muffled. I
tried English pico a few times for minutes on my Linux installation(s) and
think it was the same or similar; but one would think adding a bit of mid-high
pitch in to the voices to improve clarity.
The other drawback to svox was how it sounded at relatively high word per
minute rates, but my brief experiments under Linux were pretty responsive at
voice rates fast enough to be practical in production use for, I think, most
users.
Bottom line: WE should all try and do what ever we can to advance work on Linux
voice alternatives asap. I wasn't so impressed with openmari, but it seems that
many found this quite listenable and saw/see promise...The more the merrier.
--
B.H.