What have ou tried when fixing your old install on sda2.

That should be recoverable quite easily.

You need to mount the /dev from your currently running Ubuntu to the
mounted partition.

For example

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev

Assuming that sda2 is mounted to /mnt

Repeat that for sys and proc

mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys

mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc

Then change the root file system using the chroot command

chroot /mnt

Now your computer thinks you are actually using sda2 instead of your USB.

If you want to install your boot loaded from sda2 to your hard drive
type this:

grub-install /dev/sda

update-grub

thene xit the chroot