On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:35 am, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> I actually agree with Matthew Nuzum's point that we should focus on art,
> but I have to answer this :)  This topic was raised on the list some
> time ago. The funny thing is that I actually suggested the kde-look
> system first, but others said they would prefer the art.gnome.org system

This is true. Wasting too much time on this, well not wasting, but whilst we
could be doing art is not the best idea. Find a solution quickly, and then
work.

> :) So the community was asked and listened to ... See:
>
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2005-July/000086.html
>
> I think those people were actually right. The art.gnome.org system is
> much cleaner IMHO, compare http://art.ubuntu.com/ to this:
> http://www.gnome-look.org/ . It has fewer features, but it's quite
> simple so we can expand it to fit our needs perfectly over time. Less is
> often more. We have several good ideas for improvement, we have people
> willing to do the PHP work and we have a good collaboration with the
> art.gnome team. I have no idea what would be involved in setting up a
> kde-look type system. I suspect that may also not be plug-and-play.

I suppose so. I would like to see the art-web cms continue.

> Your primary concern seems to be that the admin panel is cumbersome to
> use, which is true but those improvements are now under way. You don't
> have to do the art-admin if you don't want to :)

This is a way I can help, and although it may not be the completely simple,
and easy, I am happy to do it. :o)

> If we really need a new/better collaboration tool, I would suggest
> setting up a simple forum, where we can posts messages and attach
> artwork in progress (some art teams use a forum to great effect [1]). I
> don't think the art team uses the regular forum much and that's probably
> wise; there might easily be too much noise there. A standard forum can
> be set up in 30 minutes, and some custom theming can be applied in
> another hour or two.

Agreed, definitely. Any suggestions - phpbb, vbulletin...?

> BUT, I know people will feel that this is going down the road of too
> much fragmentation, and I take that point. I think we should try to work
> with the tools we have now and then we can consider this in a few weeks
> or even post-breezy if there is a great demand. We have the mailing
> list, the wiki and the art site now, and should go with that. Jane
> pointed out some great projects we can focus on.
>
> - Henrik
>
> [1] http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9
> http://kde-artists.org/main/component/option,com_smf/

Alrighty, I think we can stick with teh art-web system we have set up so far.
It definitely has room for improvement, which will be exciting, and give us
something to do post-breezy, so, yep I agree with your idea. :-)

Thanks again Henrik. :o)
Pascal Klein

--
Cheerio.