Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
hello,

I "designed" the original package status icons in synaptic. It would be
nice if someone could do some tango styled ones. The icons have to
reflect the status of the package:
[snip]

New icons don't need to follow my old metaphor:

At the moment I use a filled box to show that the package is installed.
A white box represents an uninstalled package. Arrows indicate an
upgrade (up arrow), downgrade (down arrow) or installation (left arrow).
To be removed packages get a red cross.

Furthermore we use the distribution icon in a separate column to
indicate that the package is part of the official repository. It would
be nice if someone could find a way to merge this to icons.

How about something along the lines of this: http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/synaptic-proposal.png ? Installed packages are in color, uninstalled packages are in monocrome and toned down.

The good thing about this solution is that the shapes are more distinguishable this way, the bad thing is that it's not using the checkbox-style metaphor any more.
What do you think, fellow ubuntu-artists?
- Andreas