hi list,

i think it may be useful to produce some objectivity on the state of the
art at this stage. by this i mean offering Ubuntu art up for some rigorous
external
critique! as it stands the only feedback we get is from forum rants, the
occassional article
and friends. alot of this feedback is unspecific and lacking the kind of
trained description.
that is useful to the Ubuntu artists themselves.

one context for doing this would be to introduce Ubuntu as the subject
of a design crit at a Design academy, where a big class of students
would spend a day on the Live CD going through the art with a
fine-tooth-comb covering everything from colour palettes, icon design and
distribution, overall continuity, interface semiotics - from boot to shutdown.

perhaps we could open up a page on a wiki for them to edit directly,
and provide topics with which to comment and grade aspects of the art
we're interested in hearing about. we could share this output with
ubuntu-desktop simultaneously.

i lecture and give workshops at a few Design academies around the EU,
but focus more on interactive art and game development using FOSS.
if there was interest, i could talk it over with a department head and
plan a day-long class excercise. i think students would love it - both
play with and critique a whole new OS for a day.

ideally we'd do this with a few schools at the same time.

julian

--