On Sat, 2006-10-06 at 14:22 +1000, Pascal Klein wrote:

> >       * Reviews must remains
>
> I think we might be able to condense Propositions and Drafts into one
> page, personally. We'll see how it progesses.

Agree.  Basically this is a submission pool area.

> > We must define what we want to expose at our main Artwork page. I
> > suggest :
> >
> Definitely. This is something that must be sorted out right after the
> goals and should be done in the IRC meeting. Get people who are
> interested in working on a, b and c to put themselves forth and then
> assign themselves to that goal/task. :)

Well the problem with this is exactly as Frank Schoep suggests --
a clear lack of cohesive feel.  Before we even start working,
we need to do a few steps in terms of art:

A) Collect all areas we can achieve in a short six month span.
  In that loose design doc I tried to start with:
  *  Wallpaper
  *  Window Appearance
  *  USplash
  *  GDM Splash
  *  Minor Icon Updates
  *  General refinement of existing tech (rounded logout window corners
     for example.  This is merely communication with the related dev
     team.)

B) We need motifs / textures / and thematics.  If we don't clearly
  delineate "Orange Amber Glasslike" etc keywords, how can we
  arrive at the same place for various artwork elements?

  When I worked at an animation house, the most interesting experience
  I had was when the head producer showed me a series of lovely
  background panels and asked me what was wrong with each.  Each one
  was amazing, and I could barely find a flaw in any of them.  The
  reality was, though, that each background failed to integrate well
  with the foreground cels and backgrounds.

  This is currently Ubuntu's largest weakness.

  Hopefully after Paris, I can get a pretty good handhold on the
  design direction.  I will attempt to document the results and post
  them here.  IRC isn't too good for that sort of thing.