Op 30-jun-2006, om 9:58 heeft Mark Shuttleworth het volgende geschreven:

There are two things to bear in mind.

First, space. We are very tight on the install CD. In Dapper we switched to 700MB CD formats but we also introduced a lot of example content that shows what the OS is capable of. more resolution equals more space, so reduces the number of backgrounds that can be included.

Second, rendering time and memory. Whatever image is up there needs to be scaled (which takes time) and kept in memory (which sucks RAM).

Mark

Is that so? I always thought that it kept a cached, maybe even uncompressed version of a scaled wallpaper to prevent the rendering from being too difficult. Hmm... maybe that's an idea for the developers. I'll file a bug report.

Michiel