Alex Jones wrote:
> We could re-use the icon that's used for the "Force Quit" GNOME Panel
> applet, the picture of a window with a big crack down it. I think that
> signifies "broken program" as well as anything else could.

This is heading down the route of bikeshed hell.

We really need to quit grasping and simply accept the fact
that the language barriers are symptomatic of the word
'universal' being completely a foolish puff of smoke
to even _attempt_ to pursue.

- From a practical integration element -- it also must _readily_ fit
into the the "Human" scheme.  At the very least, it should be based
on the "Human" warning type symbols.  (Yet another reason we need DESIGN
guidelines for Human.)

Nacho de los Ríos Tormo wrote:
> I would like to argue that
> the images map to the concept through the polysemy of
> the word "bug" in
> English ("insect" and "defect in a program"), and so
> they won't work
> well for people that speak other languages.
> In Spanish, as an example, program bugs are commonly
> called "fallos"
> (faults), so I don't believe that the image of a
> cockroach writing on a
> piece of paper will make you think of the phrase "bug report" and then
> convey it's meaning, but more likely, to make myself
> understood, it will
> make you think of the phrase "ant writing" and then leave you a bit
> disconcerted.

_Extremely_ well said.

Once again, I urge everyone to pay attention to this well spoken piece
and consider pushing the powers that be to begin carving architectures
that support a more 'layered' based approach to design.

It doesn't stop at this however, we could very well include the vast
spectrum of different users in this -- power users, motor impaired,
etc., all require different graphical renderings and layouts.

Could something like UIML help negotiate something in this manner?

At the very least, we need to bind icons to locales and offer fallbacks
as per the standard icon scheming in GNOME.

Sincerely,
TJS