On 4/13/07, Troy James Sobotka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First on a specifically research based approach, this is wrong.
>
> Colours are _culturally_ and _temporally_ rooted in meaning.  Look to
> the colours of traditional wedding wear in Japan or different parts of
> tribal Africa for examples of cultural meaning.  Look to the tonal
> differences between the 60s and 80s pop culture art for temporal examples.

(Sorry, the previous mail went to the wrong place)

While I agree with you that the meaning of a color is culture
dependent, but the question is how do you apply this principle in a
cross-cultural context. After all, computer use cannot be reduced to a
single cultural location but it is global. What is the culture of the
global world? Not brown that's for sure (the global is a western
phenomena with all the cultural connotations). So Alvaro has a point
here. During the years, I installed ubuntu for many computers, (mostly
for teenagers, the children of my friends) and so far, in each case, I
was requested  to change Ubuntu's default color scheme. I still have
to meet with the one who wants to keep it.  Color preference is deeply
rooted in the sub-conscious of the individual mental life, like
language, therefore, every radical attempt to change that reduced to
failure.

Jmak
--
http://jozmak.blogspot.com/