http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200608/light_text_on_dark_background_vs_readability/

I've read before about the poor accessibility of light text on dark
background so I'm not really sure it's a good choice for a default theme. I,
personally, think it looks cool and trendy but that doesn't make it a good
decision for a default setting on a product with such a wide release.

As far as Aurora goes, it looks nice but if it's a resource hog then it too
shouldn't be a default. If it's a resource hog then you have to ask
yourself, "Why is it hogging resources? Is it calling a lot of different
modules or something?" I guess what I'm trying to say is that with more
bloat comes more bugs.

On my system I use Murrine. It's pretty fast and pretty nice looking and my
laptop has yet to catch on fire.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3219/427551rb9xp6.jpg