> I think another big turn off for us Linux / FreeBSD users is the fact
> that KDE is a direct rip off of Windows, and that's not fun,
I don't grok this. How is the essential layout and set of concepts between
Gnome, KDE and Windows any different?
Taskbar, tray, "Start" button, panels, windows, min/max/close buttons,
desktops, icons, drag/drop, etc.

?

Also, I'd say while they both mirror each other, KDE is by far my favourite
simply because it lets me do what *I* want to do (to a point) -- but this
does not mean that Gnome can't (with practice).

> I think both 'lean and mean' and 'ultra configureable' are both
> important open source traits.
> We chose Gnome...
In my experience, installing Gnu/Linux on *very* old machines, Gnome was just
too slow. KDE was much better but Xubuntu was best of that breed.
  Actually, (I can't recall the name, but) Afterstep (I think, or one of
the 'steps') was the best overall for speed and functionality.

\d