Webmaster, Jhnet.co.uk wrote:
Yeh I see what you are saying, if I remember rightly you can indeed bind shortcuts (involving the windows (or "super") key to locking and other things though I have a feeling they are bound to other things by default (if at all). I wasn't necessarily suggesting not having the functionality (it is something KDE has which can be very valuable), but I don't feel that using it over having the currently well organized menu is a good idea.
The problems with shortcuts is most people never know about them as people don't generally read the manual - they just figure things out based on what is visible to them. Functionality that is only available through a shortcut is a bad design decision.

90% of the problems Windows has stems from the fact that installers can do whatever they please - who's bright idea was it to let software handle its own install rather than the system? If MS made a proper installer and forced all the old school ones that enjoy making a mess to run in a sandbox/vm and simply not allow people to run .exe's (unless they know enough to let them) that would be the bulk of their problems solved. The recently used list on Windows is a godsend just because the start menu is generally so badly organised it takes ages to find anything.

I still think it is worthwhile though and could be easily done on gnome just by adding a new application category of 'recently used' that would do the job to the main list - it wouldn't necessarily need to be the first item either.

I've added an expanded quick and dirty idea for the gnome bar that would add this functionality and also expand the utility of the functionality of the main toolbar. Most other systems seem to use an expanded version and using Gnome afterwards seems a little bleak.

<<inline: menu.png>>