..on or around Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:14:16PM -0700, Troy James Sobotka said:
> > Bharat Varma wrote:
> > The visual style I have mentioned is called 'Elements' and it has 4
> > variations - Fire (the one you can see in the link), Water, Air and Earth.
> >
> > Fire - Orange, the default visual style
> > Water - Blue
> > Air - Grey
> > Earth - Green
>
> Don't you feel that this thinking is bordering on cliche?  I am rather
> shocked by the few people who seem to think that this is a good
> direction, but alas, pursue away.
>
> Somehow I can't help but think that the four elements of our poorly
> illuminated past are best left for the cliched design paradigm in
> foreign RPGs.  I greet with open arms anyone who will prove me wrong.

yes i really agree.. we're not theming a D&D convention or Pilates
Camp.

if you're going to choose an axiomatic metaphysical simplification of
the universe as a basis for theme design, at least derive it from the
home of the word 'Ubuntu'..

anyway, as Cory underscores, any efforts will not magically find their
way into Ubuntu without approval from Mark and friends. for this reason,
feel free to work away. maybe it'll be a hit..

however, i think it is wise - as has been suggested also - to form small
teams around discrete theme projects in order to get working, testable
themes actually finished and finished early. this will ensure they are
seen in the wild and thus perhaps garner the attention of those that
actually make the decision as to what ships.

cheers,

--
julian oliver
http://julianoliver.com