Please Please Please, don't skin the panel, some (stupidly in my opinion)
programs use it as a repeated background for some of their windows (such as
the alacarte menu editor when you are editing the properties of a launcher),
and it looks truly awful and incredibly unprofessional. I don't know this
for sure but I assume this is why the gutsy ubuntu studio theme decided not
to do this. Alternatively you could file this as a bug in alacarte and any
other programs which do this and hopefully get it changed.
Mick