On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:08 PM, coz DS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Thorsten Wilms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 12:09 -0500, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>>
>> > We need to be careful to avoid putting too many barriers in place.
>> > Nothing stifles creativity and enthusiasm more than getting hit with a
>> > laundry list of rules and regulations you must comply with (well,
>> > except maybe getting caught up in a flame over them).
>>
>> The chaos we have leads to nowhere.
>> Enthusiasm that burns so faintly it doesn't even survive being told
>> about rules that are strictly designed to make the live of mailing list
>> recipients easier is worth nothing, because that's all it will lead to:
>> nothing (but words).
>>
>> > I'm always eager to hear new ideas and thoughts on this list. However
>> > I am really tired of rants about etiquette. Every day I deal with
>> > people who don't know that its best to trim posts or reply below the
>> > original message. Its not my job to educate them, I simply lead by
>> > example.
>>
>> You cannot lead if no one follows.
>>
>> What I'm tired about is single line replies combined with quoting whole
>> threads. How could one expect anything good regarding artwork, which is
>> much about communication, from people who are so ignorant about the work
>> others (would) have to invest to read their ... opinions?
>>
>> > I would suggest that we've probably lost more opportunities to do
>> > something great as a team because of this top-posting fascism than
>> > probably any other issue we've addressed.
>>
>> I take issue with you calling this fascism and regarding opportunities,
>> I point to my first paragraph.
>>

>> --
>> Thorsten Wilms
>>
>> thorwil's design for free software:
>> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/
>>

>> --
>>

> Hey guys,
> Honestly is this top posting that big of a deal ?
> I also use gmail and hit reply. I have no idea if it is top or bottom
> posting.
> so let me know if this is top or bottom.
> Maybe what needs to be done is ONE team in ONE area of the country and ONLY
> THAT team be responsible for ALL ubuntu artwork. At least unimportant art
> unrelated issues will be omitted.
> It would save time with no mailing lists required, and no rules of posting
> to get in the way of the important stuff, no mailing list attachments etc
> etc etc.
> What do you guys think?
>  I vote that the ONLY art team be located in Pittsburgh , PA  USA.
> coz
>
> --

The point of having a community-accessible channel is the community part.
Having a "core" art team somewhere eliminates the community, forces
relocation and requires that everyone there be paid to be there. Even 2
artists at $10/hr for 8 hours a day would cost $160/day, $800 for a 5 day
week, $4000 a month, or $48,000 per year.

No self-respecting artist would work for that much, so they would have to be
terrible artists to be that cheap. So suck it up, and unless you want to
personally spend $48,000+ to not need to follow the top-posting rule... Just
don't top post!!! As long as all the old messages are -above- the scrawl of
your new messages, mission accomplished! If I can figure it out, anyone can.

-Ken Vermette