On Saturday 28 March 2009 22:57:23 Andrew wrote:
> 2009/3/28 Kenneth Wimer <kw...@ubuntu.com>:
> >> It would have been nice to see some items land in community-themes but
> >> that effort did not bear fruit. As you plan for Karmic that should be a
> >> topic for discussion.
> >
> > As the community-themes package is in universe we can still update it.
>
> I'm not sure what the plans are, but Impression seemed to get a lot of
> support. Shiki-colors did as well, but I personally think there are
> some issues with putting it in the community-themes packages. It's
> actually five different themes, they really should have the
> corresponding icon themes, ect... I'll be submitting shiki-colors and
> gnome-colors packages for Debian soon. Hopefully they'll get accepted.
> When they are synced into Karmic we can backport them to Jaunty.

Right, when I looked into it that was essentially what I thought as well.

> I went ahead and updated my personal branch of community-themes to
> remove Dust and New Wave and add Impression. What about Kin, do we
> still want it? Are there any other themes that should be added? Should
> I ask for this to be uploaded?

Adding Impression and shiki-colors, when possible, is what the community seems
to want, judging by the emails we received. I wondered about Kin myself...not
sure what to do here. In the end, I'd like to see the community help lead on
this package (or perhaps we should change the name :p)

> Who makes these decisions? The community? If so, how? You?

So far, I am the voice of Canonical on this list as well as one of the main
people trying to keep things going in one direction. The idea is to work with
the community and enable them to be productive - whether that is on the
default artwork for Ubuntu or on other projects. At this point, it is probably
easier for me to get packages/changes included in Jaunty though :)

> My branch can be found here:
>
> https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~andrewsomething/community-themes/community
>-themes
>
> Hope that helps. It would be a shame for nothing to happen to the
> package...

I'll check it out and get back to you...Sunday here, family time!

--
Ken