Hello,

I don't think my point of view is worth the one of the actual artists here,
as I'm more or less a spectator, but I'm still going to give it.

I must say I don't totally agree on the fact that this team lacks
leadership, and I think you're handling this role pretty well, Cory, since
you're one of those who take upon themselves to follow the progress of the
projects going on here, to give advice to people when they're going on the
wrong direction, etc.

Since there is a lot to do there, I think having a "council", a group of
moderators/administrators may be the most suitable way to go. But this would
be useless if there is nothing to lead/manage. And that's where I totally
disagree on the idea of splitting the ubuntu-art list into two lists, a
public one for customers, and another, private, for artists.

I don't believe it would cause any problems in the first months, but the
risk here is to repel newcomers who may be great artists but don't feel
confident enough to go in the process of being accepted as "members".

Also, I fear that this cuts you, the artists (pretty brilliant, I must say)
from *us* (obviously i belong to this group, but in no means i intend to
speak in the voice of anyone but me), the community members, the ones who
will use your artwork on our computers.

I think the role of the mailing list is to let anyone make a first step in
the direction of the team, and to exchange ideas, and I must say I'd be
quite disappointed of not being able to follow what's going on here, just
because I like keeping in touch with those who make the artwork I use, and
because it's always a good occasion to learn a few things.

If you are worried about the idea that anyone can post (and thus, it's true,
disturb a serious process, even if I don't think it happens that much),
then, yes, you should make this list moderated. But I would like to know the
criterias for having a voice. Would it be only for artists, as persons who
are capable of making high quality artwork with opensource tools, or would
there also be a place for community members, who don't have anything to
offer but feedback, and who are just not skilled enough to actually
contribute ?

About the idea of cleaning the LP group, I totally agree with you. It could
be used as a mark of recognition for the people who do contribute, and would
fit this role much better than the mailing list, in my opinion (and I must
say that since I joined it, I've been totally inactive there, just because
there is nothing which I can be of use in it).

Anyways, I for sure will keep in touch with the team, with the means that I
will be able to use.

Cordially, SD.

--
Steve Dodier