Steve Dodier wrote:
> I must say I don't totally agree on the fact that this team lacks
> leadership, and I think you're handling this role pretty well, Cory, since
> you're one of those who take upon themselves to follow the progress of the
> projects going on here, to give advice to people when they're going on the
> wrong direction, etc.

While I can chime in about certain things with some amount of credulity
I don't feel I am quite the guy for the lead of this team. I manage
projects under the team fine but as a whole, it's not something i want.

> Since there is a lot to do there, I think having a "council", a group of
> moderators/administrators may be the most suitable way to go. But this would
> be useless if there is nothing to lead/manage.

Sure. I'm thinking of the council as the group that set policy and
overall team direction.

> And that's where I totally
> disagree on the idea of splitting the ubuntu-art list into two lists, a
> public one for customers, and another, private, for artists.
>
> I don't believe it would cause any problems in the first months, but the
> risk here is to repel newcomers who may be great artists but don't feel
> confident enough to go in the process of being accepted as "members".
>
> Also, I fear that this cuts you, the artists (pretty brilliant, I must say)
> from *us* (obviously i belong to this group, but in no means i intend to
> speak in the voice of anyone but me), the community members, the ones who
> will use your artwork on our computers.
>
> I think the role of the mailing list is to let anyone make a first step in
> the direction of the team, and to exchange ideas, and I must say I'd be
> quite disappointed of not being able to follow what's going on here, just
> because I like keeping in touch with those who make the artwork I use, and
> because it's always a good occasion to learn a few things.
>
> If you are worried about the idea that anyone can post (and thus, it's true,
> disturb a serious process, even if I don't think it happens that much),
> then, yes, you should make this list moderated. But I would like to know the
> criterias for having a voice. Would it be only for artists, as persons who
> are capable of making high quality artwork with opensource tools, or would
> there also be a place for community members, who don't have anything to
> offer but feedback, and who are just not skilled enough to actually
> contribute ?

This is how the current Ubuntu development lists work (split into 2
lists) and it works quite well. It's pretty much my model. Still not
something I'm hard set on, but feel it needs chat.

Some of the reason for a split. is to lower the signal to noise. (small
part) another would to be to discuss policy and maybe a quieter place to
interact with what/whomever (Julian?) at Canonical.

-Cory K.